Radon is a cancer-causing gas, and is the second leading cause of lunch cancer in the US. As most gases – you can’t see, smell or taste it, but it may be a problem in your home! Some studies have shown that children are more sensitive to radon, possibly due to their higher respiration rate and rapidly dividing cells.
Radon comes from the natural decay of uranium that is found in nearly all soils. It typically moves up through the ground to the air above and into your home through cracks and other holes in the foundation. Your home traps radon inside, where it can build up. Any home may have a radon problem. This means new and old homes, well-sealed and drafty homes, and homes with or without basements.
Many people assume that they should only test for radon when they buy a house but this is wrong! You should periodically check for radon at your house and I’d encourage you to follow the EPA guidelines. You can even do it your self using radon testing kits that you can find at Lowes, Home Depot or even get for free.
If radon was detected in your house, you can fix it by installing radon mitigation system. There is a wealth of information on how to fix the problem on the EPA consumer’s guide to radon reduction.
Don’t want to do it yourself? Give me a buzz and I’ll happily refer you to a reliable and trustworthy inspection company that can test and fix radon problems.
For more information abou radon from the health risks to fixing high radon levels, please visit the EPA Radon website.